The Power of Spray Paint

I learned many important lessons from the wedding planner I worked with in college but one of the most useful lessons I learned was... when all else fails and you can't find exactly what you or your bride is looking for, MAKE IT! We were constantly having to use our minds and creativity to produce a specific item or color that a bride had her heart set on. Half of the time, those items that we created from scratch or altered to fit, ended up looking better than if we had bought it! It also made it unique and personalized! Within doing this for wedding after wedding, I found very useful tools!

1. Pinterest! 
It amazes me how many DIY projects are on Pinterest with everyday objects. There must be a million different ways/ideas to use wine bottles on there and the directions are usually fairly easy to follow and include pictures! I get lost for hours on Pinterest sometimes... keeping up with new wedding trends, DIY wedding trends, money-saving wedding trends, wedding themes, etc. WEDDINGS, WEDDINGS,  WEDDINGS.... I love it. Pinterest is an AMAZING tool for DIY projects and I have used it many times to give weddings and photo shoots that extra touch. I wanted to incorporate stained glass in our upcoming shoot so I searched Pinterest to make my own and it turned out better than I had hoped! Feel free to check out Mint to Be's Pinterest and to see how the stained glass turned out on our Instagram.


2. Spray Paint!
We had a very fun and beautiful Great Gatsby themed wedding about 2 years ago up in the mountains so it was gold everything! We were having issues finding certain gold items that the bride requested for decorations so what did we do...? Spray paint fun! You can pretty much spray paint anything, and we did! I actually did some gold spray painting yesterday for our upcoming styled shoot. As stated in my blog from yesterday, we are tying nature with beauty for this shoot and hints of gold everywhere is part of that. Therefore, I took specific nature items (like leaves, acorns, pine cones, twigs, etc.) and spray painted them to meticulously place in the shoot. Check out the gold photo fun on our Instagram. If you have a set color scheme for your wedding and are having issues matching.... Spray it!

3. Goodwill!
I personally make a weekly trip to Goodwill to see all the goodies they have! Goodwill is a goldmine for unique items, vintage items, rustic items, those little extra touches and the best part is that the items are discounted so you don't feel as bad if you have to alter it (or spray paint it!). Some of the most beautiful decorations I create or find come from Goodwill and are under $5. In fact I was there yesterday, purchasing items to spray paint... Ironically enough!

There are a ton of resources to use and pull on to make your own decorations, those are just 3 of my main ones. Start with Pinterest and go from there! Pull on a friend for ideas, look around your house for items, check on Craigslist or local Facebook Pages where people are re-selling items (be careful), ask your parents, friends and grandparents if they have items. Be creative! The more creative, the more unique!

Comments

Popular Posts