Advice From The Pros; Planning

Good Morning and Happy Monday! 

Today is a big one for our blog series, Advice From The Pros, because not only are we talking about planning advice and tips.... but we are also featuring planning advice and tips from five other fabulous wedding coordinators that we love! :) Check out what we all have to offer....




MINT TO BE WEDDINGS

Planning Tips:

1. The very first thing you should do is set a budget! Once your budget is set, then create your guest list (a realistic guest list, you can't invite everyone and their mom). Doing these two items first will allow the venue search process to be a much more enjoyable experience. It sets parameters so that you can consider maybe  8 venues, rather than 30.

2. Narrow down your venue search to your top 4-5! Pick 4-5 venues (MAX) to visit onsite. IF you don't fall inlove with one, THEN expand your search and visit 3-4 more. Sometimes considering and visiting too many venues can make the decision process overwhelming and stressful. 

3. Once you have your venue, add that pricing to your budget and sit down with your significant other to chat about your big day. What is MOST important to you both? Is it the food? Is it the florals? Is it the entertainment? List out in order of importance and allocate your remaining budget appropriately. Your budget shouldn't just be an overall number, it should be broken down into line items to ensure you don't go over. Sometimes, once you get into the planning, it can be a "sticker-shock." Try to do some research (or ask your planner) to find out what the average price is for each vendor in the area. Ordering your wedding details in importance can also help your wedding planner to know which specific vendor to recommend so that you stay in budget and don't waste your time or feel discouraged. 

Photography by Kristen Privette Photography

My Story: Caroline Emmons

Hi there! My name is Caroline Emmons and I am the owner of Mint to Be Weddings. I started out in the wedding industry back in college when I attended Appalachian State University. I majored in Communications, Public Relations for Wedding Planning and minored in Entrepreneurship to start my own business. I assisted with weddings all over the High Country and gained wonderful experience and knowledge under two fabulous planners while at App. When I moved back home to Charlotte (that's right, I am a local! Born and raised), I started by own business and have loved it ever since. I get my humor, business sense and work ethic from both my amazing parents. I am truly blessed to do what I am passionate about for a living. What am I passionate about? Helping couples bring their vision and personalities into their big day and make it an enjoyable, personable, fun and memorable planning experience and day! We love to be as creative and fun as possible in a professional manner and truly enjoy getting to know our amazing clients throughout the process. 

Our Motto: Worry Less. Love More. 



JACKIE FOGARTIE EVENTS

Planning Tips:

1. Build in a line item for incidentals on your budget so you give yourself wiggle room for the inevitable
unexpected

2. Hire professionals. 

3. Make the wedding feel like you. If you aren't formal, don't have a formal affair. If you're from Philly, serve
late night cheese steaks. The wedding should be a reflection of you, your relationship and your backgrounds.

Photography by Julia Fay Photography
My Story: Jackie Fogartie

I originally wanted to be a lawyer, and quickly realized that the office life wasn't for me. I felt totally trapped in a 9-5 job and always wondered what it would be like to be out there "with the people" (LOL). In 2008 I got married and had the most amazing wedding planner. I had never really thought of owning my own business, but I was in awe of her badass-ness and her ability to make her own schedule, create her own work life, etc. I decided event planning was for me, worked for a small venue booking their space and also worked at a non-profit doing marketing and planning their fundraising events. In 2010 I started Jackie Fogartie Events, while still doing these other part-time jobs. About 3-4 years into it, I left those jobs and pursued my wedding planning business full time. I am the first to say I have no "formal training" and learned on the job, which I personally think is the best way to do it. I made up for what I didn't know by hustling my butt off, asking tons of questions and being nice. People are much more likely to tolerate you being green if you are easy to work with and admit what you don't know. And I still admit what I don't know, and I learn new things about this business every day. 8 years later, I am immensely proud of what I have built and love getting to know my clients and their families. I feel very lucky to have created this career for myself and most days don't even consider it a "job." 

My mission for my clients is to have fun with this experience. People get so stressed out and at the end of the day it's a big party. We are working together for a year, sometimes more, let's laugh a little right?

Fun Facts About Me:
 I'm originally from NJ although I've been in CLT for 20 years. I do well with the NJ/NY-Italian Charlotteans because all NJ/NY Italians are basically the same. 
If I'm not wearing big earrings, I'm having an off day. I've been obsessed with earrings since I was a kid. #bigearringsforever




Planning Tips

1. Establish a strong understanding from the beginning that your wedding will be a day that's designed by you, inspired by you and includes who you want to be there! Many family and friends will have their own opinions on how it ought to be along the way, but by sticking to what the two of you decided on will not only strengthen your relationship but it will also allow your wedding day to truly be a representation of you both!

2. To piggy back on to number one - often times our parents have very strong feelings on certain aspects of our wedding day. To squash what can easily turn in to World War III in no time, reach out to each parent (groom to his, bride to hers) from the beginning and ask what is most important to them. Let them know that although you may not be able to fulfill all of their wishes, it's important to both you and your spouse that you know what all is important to them. This allows you to set boundaries from the beginning and makes it much easier if suddenly your inlaws are upset about no kids being invited, if they never specified they wanted children when you first asked. You of course can't please everyone but there is definitely room to try here and there.

3. Don't sweat the small stuff, or any stuff! Lets be real, we are all busy... you were busy before you started planning and you are certainly busy during! Planning you wedding is a full time job, that's why you hire us! But even with a planner, deadlines can seem daunting and you don't have time to answer a lot of questions; don't sweat it! Creating a wedding website can be a huge lifesaver and is a great way for you to share information in real time with your guests! By providing a wedding website on your Save the Date, your guests will automatically have a resource for all their future questions. Are your formal invitations taking a little longer than expected, no problem; everything your guests need to know is on the website! From travel, accommodations, attire, childcare, venue, itinerary and more... everything your guest could possibly have a question about, is right there on the site! And when you get those calls asking a bunch of questions, all you have to say is, 'did you check the website?', 'it's all on our website', 'you should visit our website!'. Done.

Photography by Julia Fay Photography

My Story: Sarah Duckworth

My career in events started way back in High School when I worked on the banquets staff at The Equinox, a Luxury Collection Golf Resort and Spa. Despite the long hours, I absolutely loved working weddings and cried at every maid of honor/best man speech and still do today! In 2010 I received my bachelor’s degree in Sports Entertainment and Event Management from Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte. Since that time, I have gained over 10 years of experience in the industry working for companies within the NBA, AHL, NFL, PGA, NASCAR and the Olympics. 

Combining my love for hospitality, passion for design and excitement for events, I founded Sarah Duckworth Events in 2018.

Originally from Vermont, I love Ben & Jerry's ice cream, being outdoors and Cabot cheese on my apples! If Wagon Wheel comes on, don't be surprised to find me on the dance floor spinning around with your Dad! I currently lives in Belmont with my husband Markus and our two dogs Leo and Lyla.




Planning Tips:

1. Know your budget.  Catering and drinks are your largest expense and know going into wedding planning that this will take up about half of your budget, depending on your guest count.  I think most people don't realize that weddings are expensive.

2. Hire professionals.  There is nothing worse than having to deal with problems on your wedding day when you would rather be with your friends and family.  Hire wedding professionals, and a planner or coordinator to make sure you enjoy this party you paid so much for!

3. Have fun!  Weddings are supposed to be fun for EVERYONE, not just your guests.  Just know that at the end of the day, you are married.  Do your best not to stress out.

Photography by Anchor and Veil Photography

My Story: Amanda Allsbrook
Hi!  I’m Amanda and weddings are my passion!  I am inspired by travel, interior design, and people watching.  I love to learn more about my clients and really get to know them to help bring out the special touches on their wedding day.
My goal is for each couple to have a stress free planning experience and enjoy their wedding day.  I know how to best handle anything that happens from wedding planning, all the way through to your wedding day with professionalism and charisma.  I love to help create all of the personal touches that reflect your story.
Our mission here at Magnificent Moments Weddings is to help you show off your style through the starting point of your marriage, your wedding. We want to create a beautiful day for you to reflect back on and remember the joy you felt as you married your special person. We can't wait to help plan your special day!
We know that wedding planning can feel overwhelming, so we take your wedding preparations off your shoulders but never out of your hands by making sure every decision is yours.  We will provide you with the tools you need to plan, making sure we include your personality in this wonderful celebration.  This starts with a personal consultation where we get to know the two of you – your style and your stories. Then we combine meticulous planning with impeccable attention to detail to plan the wedding of your dreams. We want you to be free to relax and enjoy the most important day of your lives.



Planning Tips: 

1. During this period, I encourage you to get a journal.  Capture pictures of flowers, cakes, reception décor, wedding dresses and other wedding images you absolutely love.  Take this journal with you as you meet with wedding professionals.  You will have so many thoughts and ideas, it will be impossible to remember them all, that is where the journal comes into play.  

2. At Enchanted Weddings by Design, we strongly encourage you to make your day unique to you and your fiancé.  At times finding the balance between tradition and your dreams can be challenging; we encourage you to follow your dreams. This is your day and should be a reflection of your love story!  

3. Pro Tip: Number the back of your invitation or RSVP envelope.  In the event a guest RSVP but forget to add their name to the response card you can refer to your guest list which will have the corresponding number.



My Story: Yolanda Boulware

As a wedding creative, I get to the heart and soul of your wedding vision.  I approach this by building a collaborative relationship with you in which I learn your likes and dislikes; what makes you tick and what ticks you off.  Infusing this information with your personal style, flawless service and a deep attention to detail creates a wedding which is curated specifically as a reflection of you and your mate.

The soundtrack to my movie would be titled, “A type personality meets passion”.  That is how I best describe myself.  I have an unbelievable passion for all things weddings.  I know it sounds cliquish but I promise you, there is no greater honor than being part of such a memorable experience in your life.  It is that honor that inspires me to go above and beyond for every wedding I service.  My job is to take your wedding vision and transform it to your reality.  It isn’t about just planning a wedding; it’s about creating a wedding which reflects you and your mate.  A wedding that will be etched in the memory of your guest for years to come.

Our approach is intentional.  We get to the heart of your wedding vision resulting in flawless execution of a wedding story which reflects you and your mate.



Planning Tips:

So one of the first things I always do with my couples is the (drumroll please)......Top Five Exercise. This is a veeeeerrrry important exercise for you and your fiance to go through together to begin your planning process with ease and ensure that your big day is a reflection of your priorities as a couple! 

Step 1: Grab a glass of wine (or beverage of choice), a pen, paper, and your fiancé.

Step 2: Without distractions, make a list of all of the most important aspects of your wedding that you have dreamed of - the things that are must-haves, that will create the experience you want for your guests, and things the are non-negotiable for the two of you.

These things could be large, small, colorful, silly, or whatever!! Maybe you always wanted a large Motown band at your wedding, maybe your always wanted pancakes or Chick Fil A nuggets (me, over here!) at your wedding, maybe you want to get married at a historic home, or maybe you (or both of you) just want to wear hot pink shoes.... it can be anything!

Step 3: Now that you have this massive list, I want you to narrow it down to FIVE things. Just five. Agree on these five things. Know that these things are priority items, and we will ensure throughout our planning process that these five things will appear at your wedding.

Why is this so important? As the planning process goes along, you will find that you will constantly be bombarded by options, making planning feel a little overwhelming at times, not to mention friends and family making suggestions, traditional pressures, etc. BUT if we have this Top Five list handy, then we'll always have the ability to quickly choose needs vs. wants, knowing that your "needs" are already decided and will guide your decision-making process.

Photography by Ashley Frisk Photography

My Story: Abby Henderson

I’m an Auburn grad with a degree in Fashion Merchandising and Design, but I fell in love with event planning while working for an exclusive country club in my home state of Alabama. I’m a fan of gorgeous design, but also a sucker for all things organized and in checklist form. Combining my natural ability to build relationships with clients and vendors, and a love for spot-on execution of details, I’ve planned dozens of one-of-a-kind events for even more one-of-a-kind people. After planning a variety of events for the last 10 years, at the private and corporate level, I decided it was time to take the leap and start my own business. In early January 2016, 13 Cedar Events was born. My company name is a nod to the address of the first home my husband and I bought together. I’m taking this business into it’s 4th successful year in 2019 and I can’t wait to see what a new year will bring!

Whether I’m at home or at work, I approach everything I do with a happy disposition, lots of energy and a little southern charm. When I’m not working on layouts, designing tablescapes, or balancing budgets, you can find me relaxing with my husband, Rybe. Often we’ll be checking out great local restaurants, riding our Harley, catching up with great friends, or taking our dog (and my office assistant), Milo, out for a walk around the lake. 

I will be your go-to, behind-the-scenes gal to make sure that every detail is taken care of and every guest is made welcome. Being able to help my wonderful clients enjoy their celebration and not worry over the details is my favorite part of the job! My clients love my upbeat nature, practical approach to planning, and know that they are getting an experienced, professional partner to assist them with bringing their vision to life. 


REACH OUT TO HIRE YOUR PLANNER TODAY!

If you are planning your wedding and enjoyed all of these tips, reach out to us or any one of these fabulous wedding planners about assisting with your special day! We all have SO MANY more tips to offer our clients so that it is an enjoyable planning process and memorable wedding day. Let us tie everything together while you tie the knot! 




Comments

  1. good post. I just read your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Keep update with your blogs..
    best wedding planners in VIZAG
    wedding planners in VIZAG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts